Monday 10 October 2011

Nuts to Squirrels

We decided to leave our cobnuts to ripen a bit longer a week ago. Tactical error. Today I went to pick them and it was a rapid process. Same number of nuts as a eunach. There had been I'd guess about 3kg in total over four little trees, all nicely wrapped in little leafy bits. I was going to dry and blitz them to make cakes and bread, but that is a tad difficult now. Somewhere near our allotment there is a squirrel telling itself it's just a bit of fat for the winter, and grey always makes you look a bit bloated anyway. They are, as the phrase goes, rats with good PR.

At least we got four big Turk's Turban squashes, the other thing I was there to pick. And one tiny patty pan - lots of late courgettes too. In 2010 we grew loads of Jack-be-Little pumpkins, about 1/2lb each, perfect for adding to mash or soup or stews, but for some reason they failed totally this year. One Turk's T will make a dish on November 5, the others I will try very hard to use up before then as I am not sure how well they will keep. They look good though.

No comments: