Monday 17 September 2012

Tebay - the Services You Enjoy Visiting


For Lancashire Life and eventually Meat Trades Journal I visited Tebay Services today. Is there another motorway service area in the UK you can actually feel good about (and after) visiting? In my past life I pounded the arterial roads, and had a policy of where possible avoiding motorway services, as they smell of grease, panic and corporate ignorance - Tebay being the honorable exception now as it has been for years. 

Family-owned, with a real (as opposed to convenient) commitment to local produce, it is cleaner, friendlier and more imaginative than the competition. Even the people visiting seem a different crowd. And bless them they have a butchery - no surprise when you find they were originally and are still farmers, their place supplying the beef, lamb and mutton and very fine the display looks to. Next time I am so tired I have to visit another services I will feel a tiny bit unfaithful.

No comments: